httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Major revision of sections.html
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:48:22 GMT
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> One of the more complicated aspects of apache configuration (and also
> one of the more powerful aspects) are all those <directory>, <files>,
> <location>, etc sections.  The existing documentation on this stuff is a
> little bit sketchy.  Attached is both html and xml versions of a rough
> draft of a major revision to sections.html to make it more complete and
> a little less technical.
>
> Feedback is very much appreciated.  I think a few more examples could be
> added.  I was also rather sketchy about how the <proxy> section fits
> into things.  That's mainly because I really don't know myself how it
> works.  Mostly I am interested in things that could make the docs
> simpler and clearer.
>
> Fire away!  (But don't bother with spelling mistakes; I haven't
> spell-checked it yet and my spelling is atroshus.)

I think it's important to note that for <Location>, the argument need
not have anything to do with the filesystem at all. For example, the
/server-status Location. This seems to be a bit of a revelation for some
folks.

I have been trying to figure out what it is that people find so hard
about containers. On #apache, I've been using the term "scope", which
people seem to get most of the time. "A <Directory> section defines the
scope in which these directives are applied." Also, people seem to be
frightened of creating their own new sections, feeling that the ones
in the default config are somehow canonical and inviolate. I don't know
how to combat that one just yet, particularly with some delightful linux
distros shipping Apache config files with a comment that they should
only be modified by a guru.

Anyways, yes, I think that this doc is an improvement, and very good. I
think that it could probably be easier to get to, also.

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI