httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Vincent de Lau" <vinc...@delau.nl>
Subject RE: Antwort: RE: Antwort: Wacky new docs style
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 09:57:03 GMT
> do I have any chance to see which HTML code has been
> generated? If I use the "view source" feature of the
> browser, I can only see the XML source code.

For Internet Explorer there is a Add-On that enables you to "View XSLT
Output" and to "Validate XML". They somewhere on MSDN, I've posted a link a
couple of weeks ago. I don't if there are similar tools for Mozilla and
Opera.

> (On my pages the CSS definitions are linked into
> the original "source" pages, but the ones that are
> online have been "compiled" because my server can
> serve static documents in compressed form and then
> saving another HTTP access improves response speed.)

Depends on sizes. If I'm looking at multiple pages with a shared stylesheet,
that stylesheet is cached by the browser. Especially with large stylesheets,
it is faster to have them in a seperate file.

> > I would suggest creating a sepparate print.css that is
> > loaded last and only overrides the styles that need to
> > be adjusted.
>
> I am not sure whether this would exclude some current
> browsers that cannot understand the appropriate parameter
> of the <link> tag. (Internet Explorer?)

AFAIK not a problem since 5.5, but I'm not sure about 5.0 and 4.0.
5.5 also introduced print preview and that honers @print as well.

I've just checked with www.alistapart.com and it works under IE 6.0.

Vincent de Lau
 vincent@delau.nl