httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Vincent de Lau" <vinc...@delau.nl>
Subject RE: Antwort: Wacky new docs style
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 08:24:55 GMT
> I would like to have the left-sided navigation section
> available all the time and not need to scroll to it.
> I am using CSS to do that in my mod_gzip documentation
> (visit http://www.schroepl.net/projekte/mod_gzip/browser.htm
> with a Mozilla or Opera browser and scroll down), but this
> is HTML code (with a <div> positioned absolutely) and I
> am not sure whether the same can be done with XML code.
> (Should be worth an experiment, though.)

Basically, everything that can be done wiht HTML, can be done with XML/XSLT.
Please keep in mind that XSLT _transforms_ the XML into HTML (if you ask
your browser to open XML, it will do the XSLT locally). If we would be using
CSS with XML, things would be more difficult.

However, I would like to see that the resulting HTML is as clean as
possible, using <DIV> elements and class and id attributes to apply CSS
styles to the HTML. This would allow for most recent techniques like CSS and
JavaScript to work.
I also would like to see CSS and JS linked in (<LINK /> and <SCRIPT
href="..." />. This keeps the XSLT cleaner as well.

> Also, this absolute positioning currently has no effect
> in the Internet Explorer, where the behaviour would be
> just like your current solution, so only Mozilla and
> Opera would profit from it.

I wouldn't bother to fix problems with non-standard compliant browsers. We
should write code that complies to HTML 4.01 or XHTML, CSS, ECMAScript and
DOM.
Most modern browsers would render this properly or satisfactory (Mozilla, IE
5+, Netscape 6+ and Opera).

Some pointers:
http://www.alistapart.com/ excellent site on HTML/XML design
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/tohell/ Article about 'old' browsers
versus web standards.

> Printing these documents: I don't feel that links within
> a document need to be visualized in the printed version
> of the document. CSS allows for defining style sheets
> depending on the media to be used, like
>      @media screen { <some  CSS definitions> }
> and   @media print  { <other CSS definitions> }
> which can be quite different; modern browsers do support
> this.
> I am using this especially to suppress or modify colors,
> as it may produce suboptimal results to print a document
> rich of colors on a black and white laser printer where
> the colors have been mapped to grey tones.
> But you can of course as well omit the link underlining
> in the CSS definitions for print output etc.

+1

The most important thing should be to <DIV> the menu and top and set
{display: none;} for them while printing. I would suggest creating a
sepparate print.css that is loaded last and only overrides the styles that
need to be adjusted.

Vincent de Lau
 vincent@delau.nl