httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.de
Subject Antwort: Re: New draft of manual style
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:21:57 GMT

Hi Joshua and Andy,

> But now you've chosen red for the <module> entries.
> I really like to restrict the use of red to things
> that we want to be important (like security warnings).

+1 on this, although I personally never define
link colors in HTML pages, because I trust the user
to be familiar with the colors configured (maybe
even by installation default) in _his_ browser.

And I myself override link colors with my browser
settings, because I am very used to my personal
colors that visualize unvisited and visited links
(which are red and blue, if anyone cares - the
Netscape installation defaults were too similar
for my weak eyes).

>> * but, you're right, I removed the underlines of code and module links
>>   for better reading
> My problem is that there is too many different link
> colors and actions.
> I prefer that "hover" trigger only a single, consistent
> change. In your versions, sometimes hovering adds an
> underline, and sometimes it removes it.  Sometimes it
> triggers a color change, and sometimes it doesn't.
> In addition, colors tend to get less forceful when you
> hover. This seems backwards to me.  Hovering should make
> the link stronger, because it gets you closer to the action.

Basically, I support all of that.

What I would suggest to do is make hovering _only_
change the background color and then only by some
minor change, like white to light grey.
The message for the user should be "this is some
active element, if you weren't aware of this before"
- it should not be a color signal of any kind.
So maybe the solution that would look best in my eyes
would require to define colors for <a> depending on
each and every context tag, which might well boost
the CSS definition a lot more. So I would suggest
to use some neutral greyish background color for
all hover effects, as to make the user understand
that they are all the same, semantically.

On the other hand, I would consistently display
underlines for every link even in non-hover mode.
I like to know where the sensitive areas are, even
before I have to play the 'guessing game' to locate
them with my mouse.
So I would prefer even the code and module links to
be underlined, for consistency's sake.

Make it easy for the reader to learn the concept of
highlighting, or else he/she will not be able to
understand and use and profit from it: "Underlined
is a link, hovering is a link, all else is semantic
concepts of the Apache manual".
(Last week I just got bashed for my own method of
highlighing way too much, and it was very justified
to bash me there. ;-)

> The color issue I can live with, but the underlining
> must be consistent. If underline means link, then
> a:hover should ALWAYS be underlined, regardless of
> the original state.

I would like links to be always underlined, no matter
whether they are hovering or not, and make hover only
change the background color, not the font color.
Beyond that, I like nearly every selection of colors
as I will easily get used to it when I frequently read
the Apache manual.

> The correct wrapping of this type of content in xhtml
> is <div>, not <p>.

+1

> Thanks for all your hard work on this.

+2 :-)