httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.de
Subject Antwort: Re: Japanese internationalized error messages; charset intypemapfiles
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:53:54 GMT

Hi,

> I see. The idea of CONTENT_ENCODING seems to be nice.
> If we introduce the var, nagotiation of the docs in include/* will
> become unnecessary. The include/* would be common for all encodings.

I wouldn't try to use "Content-Encoding" for this, which sounds
so much like the HTTP header that is mostly used for compression
purposes only today.
If I look at the topic from the HTTP point of view, I think we
are talking about a "charset", which is what would have to be
submitted as an addition to the "Content-Type" HTTP header
 (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.17),
like "Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-4".

Thus I would suggest to name the thing as what as it is, "charset".

Regards, Michael