httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.de
Subject Antwort: mod_deflate.xml
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:33:44 GMT

Hi Shane,

> +    <p><strong>Most popular browsers can not handle compression of all
content

I wouldn't be so very pessimistic about the "popular" browers of today.

On the contrary, I would say "all current browsers can handle this very
well, except for Netscape 4 in some aspects". After all, they started
supporting this about 1997 (Netscape 4.06, MSIE 4.0).

I am collecting information about which browser is able to handle gzip
compression in which situations, so if you want more details you might
visit

     http://www.schroepl.net/projekte/mod_gzip/browser.htm
And by the way, Netscape 4.x will not even handle compressed HTML correctly
- did you ever try to print such a page? (use "print preview" to see what
will happen.)
So today one would rather exclude Netscape 4 from compression (which is
what mod_gzip allows you to do) than limit the compression to a subset of
MIME types.

Regards, Michael