httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.de
Subject Re: wacky docs look - take two
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:36:39 GMT
Hi Joshua,

> - Is this the right overall direction?

Yes - but basically, I would say "too much contrast".

It is rather hard for the reader's eyes to endure all
those large dark areas.
Make them softer, greyish-brownish etc., this will make
the whole thing "less aggressive". There are plenty of
grey tones to be used for a similar but 'lighter' effect.

> - Is it too flashy/complicated?

The main problem IMHO is the very ugly feather.

I don't think there can be any solution that would really
work perfectly; thus I would suggest using a bright color
(grey #aaa or even brighter) for the background of whatever
element the feather will be include into.

For the current style, I tried to remove a little more of the
ugly white border of the feather (whose borders have clearly
been optimized for a colors transition into a white background)
by overwriting any bright color with the color index of the
transparent color (i. e. palette index 255, which internally
is now some acid green as to make image modification easier).

I attach my version here, which IMHO looks far better than
the current one, but doesn't seem to really solve the problem,
mostly because the feather's quill tends to vanish totally
when presented upon any dark background, and the feather loses
a lot of its effect as well.
This image simply isn't made for being used on a dark background.

Regards, Michael

P.S.: Shouldn't this quill (of which bird?) be white anyway?

(See attached file: small_feather.gif)