httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.de
Subject Antwort: RE: Antwort: Wacky new docs style
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 09:16:28 GMT

Hi Vincent,

> Basically, everything that can be done wiht HTML, can
> be done with XML/XSLT. Please keep in mind that XSLT
> _transforms_ the XML into HTML (if you ask your browser
> to open XML, it will do the XSLT locally). If we would
> be using CSS with XML, things would be more difficult.

do I have any chance to see which HTML code has been
generated? If I use the "view source" feature of the
browser, I can only see the XML source code.

> I also would like to see CSS and JS linked in (<LINK />
> and <SCRIPT href="..." />. This keeps the XSLT cleaner
> as well.

Yep. Editing the CSS class and tag attributes should
be able with CSS knowledge only, and without having
to understand the XSLT transformation process.
(On my pages the CSS definitions are linked into
the original "source" pages, but the ones that are
online have been "compiled" because my server can
serve static documents in compressed form and then
saving another HTTP access improves response speed.)

>> Also, this absolute positioning currently has no effect
>> in the Internet Explorer, where the behaviour would be
>> just like your current solution, so only Mozilla and
>> Opera would profit from it.
> I wouldn't bother to fix problems with non-standard compliant
> browsers. We should write code that complies to HTML 4.01
> or XHTML, CSS, ECMAScript and DOM. Most modern browsers
> would render this properly or satisfactory (Mozilla, IE 5+,
> Netscape 6+ and Opera).

Full Ack - I am doing the same on my pages.

> The most important thing should be to <DIV> the menu and
> top and set {display: none;} for them while printing.

+1 (I am already doing that myself, just forgot to
mention it here).

> I would suggest creating a sepparate print.css that is
> loaded last and only overrides the styles that need to
> be adjusted.

I am not sure whether this would exclude some current
browsers that cannot understand the appropriate parameter
of the <link> tag. (Internet Explorer?)
Thus I currently use the @media mechanism in my CSS
files and use one file only; if the printing specific
modifications are small then this rather keeps all
related informations at one point.

Regards, Michael