httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject [!FIX!] docs build system broken
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:40:04 GMT
on 23.08.2002 19:19 Uhr Joshua Slive (joshua@slive.ca) wrote:

> Cliff Woolley wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:
>>> Any ideas?  Can anyone else recreate this?
>>
>> Yes, I see this exact kind of thing all the time.  Very annoying.  I
>> hadn't put much thought into it though.  Perhaps it has to do with whether
>> you run ./build.sh or ../build.sh?
>
> The nearest I can figure out, the variable definition for relativepath
> gets set correctly for the first doc that is transformed, and then all
> future docs gets the same relativepath.  I don't think this is a bug in
> the stylesheet.  A "variable" in xslt is really a constant, in the sense
> that it can't be changed; but this should only apply per-file, right?

There is no bug in the stylesheet, but since Ant only loads the stylesheet
one time per <style>-section, the stylesheet doesn't get updated for every
single file. Therefore the relativepath-var in the xsl keeps its value from
the first xml-document. Although this results in faster transforming, it
introduces the described problems when it comes to different path-depths.

> In any case, I'll give this issue another 24 hours to mull around in
> peoples brains, and if nobody comes up with a solution I will revert the
> build.xml how it was a few versions ago: transform each directory
> seperately.

A possible solution would be some additional <style>-sections in which the
path-depth for transforming the docs is restricted to only one depth. Since
we don't have a very complex directory-tree this should be a lot easier to
maintain as the last version of build.xml, where we had to change a lot, to
insert new languages or new directories. Another positive side-effect is the
fact that this should be much faster than loading the stylesheet for every
directory (e.g. ./, ./misc, ./howto, ./developers, ./ssl, ./vhost, ... in
contrast to ./, ./**, ...).

Puuh, I hope this is somewhat understandable...I surely have to improve my
english-skills :-)) If there are any questions, please ask.

Attached a patch to the current CVS HEAD. I tested this thoroughly and it
works very fine for me.

Another thing to mention: while playing with the build-system I spotted a
param named 'relative-path' in every <style>-section. I couldn't find any
reference to it in the stylesheet, so I think this is an oddment of an older
version. I removed it in the attached patch.

BTW: sorry for the late reply on this, but I wasn't at home for the last two
days...*sigh*...

Erik