httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Charset in type-maps / <meta>
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:06:20 GMT
on 20.08.2002 20:54 Uhr André Malo (nd@perlig.de) wrote:

> * Erik Abele wrote:
>
>> So, I'm +1 on introducing two new vars to get this working.
>
> +1 on $CONTENT_LANGUAGE
> -1 on $CONTENT_ENCODING
>
> this var should be named CONTENT_CHARSET or similiar, because
> Content-Encoding has a complete different meaning. (e.g. gzip)

+1, see last mail...

> Also the type maps themselves should be changed:

> (or whatever)
>
> Another point: who needs the <meta> element? it's a bit oversized
> IMHO, because the information there is given in http header and in the
> <?xml?> pseudo element, too. We should consider to remove it.

Since the type maps are missing the correct charset definitions up to now,
we will have to rely on the encoding pseudo-attribute (<?xml ... ?>) or the

Unfortunately I don't know the exact user-agent behaviors on this topic and
therefore I would suggest to keep the <meta> until the charset definitions
in the type maps are fixed.

Erik