httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: wacky docs look - André
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:16:37 GMT
on 13.08.2002 2:29 Uhr André Malo (nd@perlig.de) wrote:

Hi André !

> * Generally this outline(s) are more focussed on the content, so
> structure and navigation elements go more discrete

As the others said before, it's brighter and clearer and therefore appears
to be more 'friendly' than the darker one. Also the problems with the dark
background and the featherquill become superfluous.

> * site navigation is (as now) top positioned, so there's more
> space for the content.
> The sub-structure as suggested seems to be oversized. The reader will
> mostly read (at least) a whole paragraph, so the links to /every/ sub
> sub section will less useful and too complex.

Indeed the sub-navigation also becomes easier to understand. IMO it should
be sufficient to show only the main paragraphs instead of presenting every
single paragraph.

> * the link symbols (arrows) are meant as navigation elements only. They
> are not intened for links in normal text

They are great; I missed them before :-)

> * One section (including subsections) is the part, that generally should
> be overviewed by the reader. For this purpose the border in entw2_3 was
> added. Probably it's a bit oversized.

I like the border very much, but I could imagine that the pages will get a
little bit crowded if they are more complex. Hmmm, lets wait to see a
HTML-page.

> The headings of the subsections should not be so obvious. They are
> distractive to the reader.
> For example, if you look at entw2_3 the section heading background is
> colored blue-gray, any subsection headings then may only be bordered
> (like in entw2_5 or so)

I think it's very useful when you can easily spot new paragraphs while
scrolling long pages. Therefore I tend to the background-filled headings of
entw2_3.

> * colors:
> the colors are derived from the existent and they are mainly intended
> to reduce the contrast.
> text color: blue1 (like background in existent)
> background heading: blue-gray1 (like text, but more gray)
> -> the text is more colored than the headings thus they don't draw off
> the attention so much
> background table heading: blue-gray2 (more bright as blue-gray1)
> links: blue2 (more a cyan)
> they shall be recognized clearly, but not become flashy
> visited links: currently yellow-gray
> they are just a problem, because they have to be kept in
> context, have to be less strong as normal links and
> nevertheless have to be recognized in normal text.
> Thus it's now this no-color and probably subject to change

Hmmm, the colors are nice. IMO only the visited-link colors doesn't really
fit in the design, but as you said they're always a problem. I think we
could have endless discussions on them :-)

IMO another important point of your layout is the fact, that it limits the
length of the lines. I hate it when lines are getting wrapped at the browser
border and not at a readable length. BTW it should also be possible to wrap
the lines at a shorter length to avoid scrollbars. But this shouldn't be a
problem.

I would be interested what the others think about this?

Well, all in all great work, André & Gernot !

> If it's of some interest, I'll take the time and convert (one of) the pictures
> below to full HTML documents.

That would be even greater. As Joshua wrote before, he could make a
xslt-stylesheet fairly quickly!

-erik