httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: New draft of manual style
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:40:05 GMT
André Malo wrote:
> nope. I always put the example into <div class="example">. Your previous
> version didn't validate, because you set up:

> [ example content ]
> </code></div>

Okay, I see what you mean.  But I don't believe your choice works
PCDATA.  In fact, <example> can take anything.  What if somebody did

it in <p>.

How do we solve this problem?  Well, one possibility is to eliminate the
use of <code> entirely and use CSS to get that effect.  But I would
prefer not to do that because then non-css browsers would see the
<example> in a proportional font.  I suppose we could use some tricky
XSLT to insert <code> only if the contents of <example> are bare text.
The other option would be to test in <example> for each possible block
element.  Yuck.

Joshua.