httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: wacky docs look - take two
Date Sat, 10 Aug 2002 18:26:35 GMT
Vincent de Lau wrote:

>>- Is it too flashy/complicated?
>
> The only disadvantage I noticed is that it's useless on 640/480. But I don't
> think that should be show stopper.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what you mean here.  The only problem I see with
using it on very narrow displays is the use of big <pre> blocks.  Those
will never work inside layout tables, and they can be removed fairly
easily.  For pages that don't have those, I have no problems going well
below 600 pixels wide.

>>- Does it work in everybody's various browsers?  (It is supposed to work
>>at least back to Netscape 4, but I haven't tested it.)
>

> What do we want to support?

It should be "usable" on pretty much anything.  That is, you should be
able to read and navigate the pages on any modern-era browser
(including, say, lynx).  It should look "nice" on standards-conforming
browsers.

> I would wait for all the docs to be in XML, since converting twice is not a
> good idea.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean here.  The XML is not changing at all.
  The only thing that is changing is the transformation to html.  The
only problem I see with going ahead before everything has been converted
to xml is that the docs will look a little strange for a while: half the
docs will be in the old design and half in the new.  The main advantage
I see to that is that it gives us a good incentive to get everything
converted.

Thanks for your feeback.

Joshua.