httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Patrik Grip-Jansson <patr...@gnulix.org>
Subject Re: New draft of manual style
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2002 13:03:45 GMT
On Saturday 24 August 2002 05.15, Joshua Slive wrote:

As for the new look, I'm a big -1 to it! The "wacky" design that Joshua did
was so much better. It looked much more modern. This new look is plain ugly
(not very constructive criticism, I know.) I'll take some time to criticize
it in detail later on today... :-)

I've only had time to look through the index.html page so far. Here are some
problems I see with it...

> Contains a new draft of the proposed new manual style.  This one is
> fully generated using xslt, so all the xml files should be converted.

Then the meta tag for "generator" is wrong. The html source wasn't generated
by Tidy - so they shouldn't be blamed :-)

Don't lock the main table's width to 600. If you have a big font things begin
to wrap much too early. I'd suggest that you don't use any width at all.

The alt value for pixel.gif should be "", not ".". Actually, for this page I
would remove the pixel.gif part completely.

Use <th> for table headers! A) that's what they're for :-) B) It's much easier
to make changes to their styles later on C) Some screen readers handle the
semantics of the page much better if you use "correct" table tags.

That's what I found after a quick perusal, I'll try to spend some more time on
this later on...

--
| Patrik Grip-Jansson |
| 78444 Borlänge   .--'----' http://gnulix.com/ `---------.
| Sweden           |  All views and opinions are my own,  |
`------------------| PH:+46(0)24382823 PW:+46(0)707354360 |