httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Antwort: htaccess tutorial
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 01:11:35 GMT
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 Michael.Schroepl@telekurs.de wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>

> > http://www.apacheadmin.com/htaccess.txt
> > Please let me know what you think.
>
> I like the style of the document very much.
>
> My first FAQ-like question to the document would be:
> - How can I find out which AllowOverride settings are in
>   effect if I just have a "webspace with .htaccess" but no
>   direct access to the httpd.conf?

OK, I'm stumped. How would you do that, other than blind
experimentation? Perhaps it's just been a long day, but I can't think of
any way to find out that information other than adding directives and
seeing what happens.

> Your sentence "Carefully consider whether you want to give your
> users this privilege." is of course correct, but sounds a little
> like "so better give them less privileges". Which in real world
> leads to web space providers that allow you to run your own CGI
> scripts but deny you "AllowOverride Options" because of "security
> reasons". You might add a line about that as well.

Can you give me an example line that would serve this purpose. I'm not
entirely sure what you're getting at.

> "Having said that, if you still think you need to use a .htaccess file,"
> you might add there "(like if you are just using webspace, not
> your own server)" which seems the most likely scenario to me.

OK, will do.

> "You must have "AllowOverride AuthInfo" in effect" looks like a typo.

OK, fixed.

--
Who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows