httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject ServerAlias *.foo.com
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:04:01 GMT
There's an example in the vhosts docs that uses the syntax:

ServerAlias *.example.com

This is not documented anywhere else, and I'm wondering if this is an
intentional feature, or merely an artifact.

I don't really want to get into telling people how to make wildcard
CNAME records, but it might be a nice thing to tell people, other than
this one example that uses the syntax.

At the moment, I'm having a discussion on IRC with someone who seems to
think that creating the *.example.com ServerAlias line should have
automagically made DNS start resolving to their server. It might be
useful to debunk this misconception a few more places in the docs, as a
lot of people seem to think this.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
As we trace our own few circles around the sun