httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Vhosts docs
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 12:25:12 GMT
On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 Michael.Schroepl@telekurs.com wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> I believe that people don't use features because they
> are there, but because they need them.

The features are there because people need them. This seems like a
rather strange distinction to make, but I *think* I follow what you are
saying.

> People don't need Virtual Hosts - they need "several
> web servers on one machine".

There is a real value to technical terms. The correctly-used technical
term saves pages of explanation, and there is a distinct value in
teaching people to use the right words for the right concepts.

> Or at least they believe they need this, unless they
> are told that Virtual Hosts will supply exactly this
> feature.
>
> IMHO there is no need mentioning IP addresses or port
> numbers this early.

How about if I make the IP address phrase parenthetical? I am very
averse to "dumbing down" the docs. Yes, they should be accessible to the
beginner, but not to the point where they become useless to the advanced
user.

> There may be a lot of other things one can do with
> Virtual Hosts, but the most important thing in my eyes
> is that you can access different DNS names on one
> machine via HTTP. You will need IP address knowledge
> to really make it work (because one has to map the
> DNS name to some IP adress), but not yet for under-
> standing what Virtual Hosts are good for.

Hmm. I'm not really sure if I agree. Primarily because of the fact that
people seem to think that if they add a vhost, it will magically make
DNS resolve that name to their server. These are the same folks who also
think that if they add a vhost for cnn.com they will suddenly hijack all
traffic from that site. It *is* important that they have at least a
smidgen of networking knowledge, even to understand *basic* name-based
vhosts. In my first example, I try to keep it at what I perceive to be
the barest minimum.

Additionally, I *frequently* get asked why the vhost docs don't contain
more about DNS configuration (standard answer: a) this is the Apache
doc, not a DNS doc and 2) Which DNS server should I document here?) And
folks want to have something here about the format of /etc/hosts files.
I don't think that there is any way to make everyone happy, but it's a
noble goal.

--
Who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows