httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: Issues with XML / XSLT stuff
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2002 15:13:24 GMT

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Vincent de Lau wrote:

> > Can you tell I haven't been properly validating my xml ;-)
>
> To busy huh?  I'm using XML Spy, it warns before saving a invalid file or
> dtd ;)
> I also have a IE plugin that can validate the XML file you are viewing and
> lets you view the XSLT output.

Interesting.  Are either of these free?  Where did you find the IE plugin?

> Questions:
> 1. How are we going to make sure that committed files are valid? I expect a
> XML rush, now that the DTD's and XSLT's are working. I've seen one document
> already but that was not conforming to the DTD.

The problem is that we want to make writing documentation as easy as
possible.  The more barriers we throw in the way of getting things done,
the less people will actually write docs.  I know that already some people
are frustrated with needing a JVM/etc in order to do the transformations.
What would be optimal is if we could get Ant/Xalan to validate as part of
the transformation process, but I can't figure out how to make that
happen.

Given that, I don't want to insist that people install more new software.
Instead, we should "recommend", but not insist on validating, and we
should make it as easy as possible by suggesting how to do it in the
relevant place: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html

When the inevitable non-validating doc gets committed, those of us who are
insterested can fix it.

> 2. What is the current status of the build system? STATUS says that it is
> still not 100%. This should probably be fixed asap.

I have made changes to style/build.xml which seem to be working for now.
Unfortuantely, STATUS always seems to lag a little behind.

> 3. How are we going to organise the migration for current documents?
>
> Currently the following files are done (more or less):
> - bind.xml (submitted by David, not conforming to DTD)
> - configuring.xml (submitted by Astrid, patched by Joshua to test DTD/XSLT)
> - env.xml (will be submitted by me in a different post)
> - filter.xml (will be submitted by me in a different post)
> - handler.xml (will be submitted by me in a different post)

I suggest that you just make a quick post to the list before you start
saying "I'm working on docs x,y,z".  That way we are less likely to get
conflicts.

Joshua.