httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.com
Subject Antwort: Re: XML format for manual pages (was Re: German translation)
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:23:02 GMT

Hi Joshua,

>> Michael Schroepl recently posted an URL to the complete apache-docs
>> converted to xhtml-1.0 strict. Perhaps these docs can be a starting
point
>> for further discussions about the look/the html+css specs of the new
xslt
>> ?!?

(this is exactly what they were meant to be)

> Yes, I saw that, but I haven't looked at it in great depth.

Does that mean you are not even interested in fixing
the HTML coding bugs in the Apache 1.3 documentation?
(I think I remember fixes being committed about such
things only weeks ago.)

> To be frank, I don't have the time to pay attention to 1.3 these days.

I explicitly said why I used Apache 1.3: Exactly _be-
cause_ most of you may consider it outdated, and it
isn't in full maintenance any more.
(And it is HTML, not somewhere on the journey from HTML
to XML; if this migration process were already completed
- and I mean for all translations! - then I would have
used the 2.0 version for my "proof of concept".)

I don't see that the Apache document layout has changed
so much from 1.3 to 2.0 until now; so the discussion
about which "logical primitives" are to be used in these
docs shouldn't really depend on the Apache version, IMHO.

> I don't want to discourage others from doing it, but I have
> more than I can handle trying to get 2.0 in shape.

I don't think this has anything to do with 1.3 or 2.0.
It is more about defining what "shape" is going to mean
in the context of CSS.

Whichever Apache version would be ported to using CSS,
the main work would have to be identifying which logical
concepts are to be used to construct Apache documents
(like "this is an example" or "this is a directive")
and then use appropriate classes inside the HTML code.

It isn't much work to write a couple of CSS lines - but
it is work to specify rules about a unique look for all
Apache documents - and to check whether anyone violated
these rules (the latter being greatly eased by generating
the HTML code from an XML structure that allows much less
than full HTML does).

If you don't want to look at these 1.3 files, okay don't
do it. But maybe at least read the notes I wrote (and
posted here) about the process that led to this result,
as 80+% of these notes would be the same for Apache 2.0
docs for sure.
These notes are the real result of the experiment - not
the "Apache 1.3 in XHTML 1.0 Strict" files.

Regards, Michael