httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/vhosts fd-limits.html.en
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:15:17 GMT
On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> rbowen@apache.org wrote:
> > rbowen      2002/06/15 13:09:08
> >
> >   Modified:    docs/manual/vhosts fd-limits.html.en
> >   Log:
> >   Added configuration example, code example, and a little explanation, to
> >   facilitate logging all of your virtual hosts to a single file, and then
> >   splitting them back up after. Note that if Apache has problems with this
> >   many file handles, Perl might also. I'm not sure.
>
> Note that there is a support script included with apache that does this:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/httpd-2.0/support/split-logfile.in?rev=1.2
> or
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/other.html

I have *never* noticed that. And I was going to recommend that this
script be included in the bin directory so that people could just look
there, rather than having a full listing in the docs. I guess that's not
necessary. Recommendations? Should I just direct people to that instead?

> It is fairly similar to yours, but not quite the same.  Both your script
> and the one in httpd-2.0 are missing a necessary security fix from the
> 1.3 version (strip slashes from the vhost name).

Can you elaborate on that? Why would the vhost name ever have a slash in
it? I can see that it could be a security problem, but how would one
ever get in there?

--
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go