httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: More about FAQs
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:28:31 GMT
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > The FAQ that I wanted to add goes something like this:
> >
> > Q: How do I deny access to images if they are not inline in one of my
> > pages.
>

> > SetEnvIf REFERER www\.mydomain\.com linked_from_here
> I'd also add
> SetEnvIf Referer "^$" linked_from_here

Doesn't that complete negate what they are trying to do? They don't want
people to type in the URL of the image directly and get it. Or maybe
they don't want it inlined in other pages. Perhaps it is more the
latter I'm not entirely sure. I have never really had this problem
myself.

> This is relatively safe because people doing the "inlining" don't have
> control over the browsers, so they won't be able to use this extra
> flexibility to get around the restriction.  Plus it allows privacy-minded
> clients and simpler browsers to still access the images.

Yeah, I could see that.

> > Any objection to this FAQ?
>
> My only comment is that this is already documented at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/env.html#examples

Hmm. For some reason I missed that. That would let me shorten the faq
and just point to this other resource.

> but obviously this is not the first place someone will look when trying to
> answer that question.  You might consider adding the
> http://apachetoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-06-14-002-01-PS
> link from your FAQ.

Will do.

#apache continually opens my eyes to just how confused some people can
be ...

--
And everyone said, "If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve -