httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: something to add to the FAQ
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 17:10:37 GMT
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Acked, but I won't be able to get to it for quite a while.  Anyone else
> want to take this one?

I have a few things that I wanted to add to the FAQ, so I'll take this,
unless someone beats me to it.

--Rich

> ----- Forwarded message from Mike Puglin <mpuglin@sae.org> -----
>
> From: "Mike Puglin" <mpuglin@sae.org>
> To: <coar@apache.org>
> Subject: something to add to the FAQ
> Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:29:54 -0500
>
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick suggestion.  Perhaps you could add the following the FAQ, the Error Log
Messages and Problems Starting Apache section:

> Q: Why do I see the following message in my error_log file. I did not restart the server
myself. Have I been the victim of a hacker?

>     [Thu Jun  6 04:02:01 2002] [notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to restart
>     [Thu Jun  6 04:02:02 2002] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
>     [Thu Jun  6 04:02:02 2002] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
>     [Thu Jun  6 04:02:02 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)

> Check your cron jobs to see when/if your server logs are being rotated. Compare the time
of rotation to the error menage time. If they are the same, you can somewhat safely assume
that the restart is due to your server logs being rotated.

> I know that I had a question about this. I also know that I found quite a few similar
questions via google.com. So, I thought it might warrant an addition to your FAQ.

> Thanks for all your hard work with the documentation project. It is greatly appreciated.
Please feel free to re-word the Q&A to your desire.

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI