httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: More about FAQs
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:52:06 GMT

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > > SetEnvIf REFERER www\.mydomain\.com linked_from_here
> > I'd also add
> > SetEnvIf Referer "^$" linked_from_here
>
> Doesn't that complete negate what they are trying to do? They don't want
> people to type in the URL of the image directly and get it. Or maybe
> they don't want it inlined in other pages. Perhaps it is more the
> latter I'm not entirely sure. I have never really had this problem
> myself.

I think people want both, but preventing people from "stealing" images is
completely impossible, so I just tell people not to try. Preventing
people from "inlining", on the other hand, is perfectly feasible with the
technique you mention.

Perhaps that would be a good note to add to this FAQ.

Joshua.