httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: More about FAQs
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:59:04 GMT

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> The FAQ that I wanted to add goes something like this:
>
> Q: How do I deny access to images if they are not inline in one of my
> pages.

> SetEnvIf REFERER www\.mydomain\.com linked_from_here

I'd also add
SetEnvIf Referer "^$" linked_from_here

This is relatively safe because people doing the "inlining" don't have
control over the browsers, so they won't be able to use this extra
flexibility to get around the restriction.  Plus it allows privacy-minded
clients and simpler browsers to still access the images.

> Any objection to this FAQ?

My only comment is that this is already documented at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/env.html#examples
but obviously this is not the first place someone will look when trying to
answer that question.  You might consider adding the
http://apachetoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-06-14-002-01-PS
link from your FAQ.

Joshua.