httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re[2]: dtd for non-module documentation pages
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:23:48 GMT
I'm pretty happy with this overall.  It looks nice and simple.

A few more comments inline.

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Astrid Ke├čler wrote:
> Additionally to the summary defined at modulesynopsis.dtd, this one may
> have an <index> element. This index element marks the position of the
> table of contents of that page. It is neccessary to define the index
> position within the summary, because the index is often surrounded by
> some text.

I still don't like the index.  My opinion is that:

- Every page should have an index
- The location of that index should be the same on every page (perhaps
just after the summary)
- The index should be generated from the <section>s, and should not need
manual intervention.  (ie any section with an "id" should be included)

This is not how things are in the existing docs, but we don't need to
replicate the exact format of the existing docs.

As far as pages that are "index" pages in themselves, linking to other
documents, these links should be an integral part of the content, either
in the <summary> or in one of the <section>s.

> > - Can we combine the two DTDs?  At minimum, we should put the common
> > parts in a common file and pull them into each DTD.
>
> I tried to define a dtd using an external subset, but I failed for the
> correct definition. This may be done by someone else please.

OK.  Don't worry about it for now.  It can be done later.

I'd like to hear at least one opinion from someone other than me on this.
Rich, have you had a chance to look this over?  Is there anything missing
that could add more structure?

Other than that, I am ready for this to go into the docs.  Astrid, do you
have commit access?

Joshua.