httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: vhosts examples
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:08:12 GMT
Rich Bowen wrote:
> Here's cut one:
>
> http://www.apacheadmin.com/vhost_examples.html
>
> I still don't like it, but I can't quite put my finger on what I
> dislike.
>
> I'm also planning to add a "Common problems" section.
>
> Thoughts? Suggestions? Complaints?

I agree with the dot (Tony): you should emphasize the the first
configuration works for almost any name-virtual hosting situation.  (ie,
it works for multiple IP addresses, inside/outside IP addresses, etc.)
The only thing it doesn't work for is serving different content based on
the IP address (and port).

Also, the "main" ServerName in the first example should probably be
removed, since it does nothing at all in the NameVirtualHost * case.

You should probably also note in the first listed example that the first
listed <virtulhost> will be the "default" virtual host that will catch
all unmatched names.  You might want to even given an example with a
"dummy" virtual host listed first just for catching those and forwarding
them elsewhere.

Joshua.