httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: PerChild clarification
Date Sun, 02 Jun 2002 14:31:03 GMT
Rich Bowen wrote:

> Yeah, I understand that part, but why would you want to tie this
> user/group ID to a particular child process, rather than to a virtual
> host?

It is a two step process: tie a child process to a user and the child
process to the virtual host.  You need both directives.

Why is this necessary?  Because there is no safe way for child processes
to change userids between requests.  Therefore you need to have a
long-lived process under each id.

The trick of perchild is just being able to pass requests between
processes in order to serve the requests under the correct priveleges.
The same thing can be done manually simply by running multiple copies of
apache on different ports, and having one apache listen on port 80 and
proxypass the requests to the correct ports.

If I was going to make any change to the perchild docs right now, it
would be to wipe out the whole summary section and replace it with a
huge "this module doesn't work, so don't even bother".

Joshua.