httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: something to add to the FAQ
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 15:53:56 GMT
Acked, but I won't be able to get to it for quite a while.  Anyone else
want to take this one?

----- Forwarded message from Mike Puglin <mpuglin@sae.org> -----

From: "Mike Puglin" <mpuglin@sae.org>
To: <coar@apache.org>
Subject: something to add to the FAQ
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:29:54 -0500

Hi,

Just a quick suggestion.  Perhaps you could add the following the FAQ, the Error Log Messages
and Problems Starting Apache section:

Q: Why do I see the following message in my error_log file. I did not restart the server myself.
Have I been the victim of a hacker?

    [Thu Jun  6 04:02:01 2002] [notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to restart
    [Thu Jun  6 04:02:02 2002] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Thu Jun  6 04:02:02 2002] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)

    [Thu Jun  6 04:02:02 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)

Check your cron jobs to see when/if your server logs are being rotated. Compare the time of
rotation to the error menage time. If they are the same, you can somewhat safely assume that
the restart is due to your server logs being rotated.

I know that I had a question about this. I also know that I found quite a few similar questions
via google.com. So, I thought it might warrant an addition to your FAQ.

Thanks for all your hard work with the documentation project. It is greatly appreciated. Please
feel free to re-word the Q&A to your desire.

mike

----- End forwarded message -----

--
#ken	P-)}