httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Allan Liska <al...@allan.org>
Subject Re: New FAQ: Changing Server: header info.
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 02:07:20 GMT
Hello Rich,

RB> In order to do this, you will need to modify the Apache source code and
RB> rebuilt Apache. This is not advised, as it is almost certain not to
RB> provide you with the added security you think that you are gaining. The
RB> exact method of doing this is left as an exercise for the reader, as we
RB> are not keen on helping you do something that is intrinsically a bad
RB> idea.

s/rebuilt/rebuild/

Otherwise +1.  Good answer, and I agree that recompiling Apache to try
to hide the name of the web server is bad practice anyway.  A script
kiddie is too dumb to figure out how to find out what web server is
running, and a serious attacker is not going to let a little
obfuscation stop progress.

allan
--
allan