httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <>
Subject Re: xml build system
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 02:28:09 GMT
On Wed, 8 May 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 07:28:37AM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > Agreed, but if most of the developers were to use an XML browser, the
> > conversion could be done, say, once a week, by someone with the
> > know-how, rather than having to have all of the individuals involved
> > know how to do it.
> The rationale for standardizing on a specific XML toolset is
> so that the conversions in the repository don't consistently
> flip-flop.
> Right now, if everyone were to use their own transformation
> tools and versions, the diffs in the repository would be
> horrendous.
> I would back the rationale for updating the HTML at the same
> time as the XML so that our website could be properly
> updated when the docs change.  -- justin

OK, this is a very good point, and I had not thought of that. I guess we
can presume that everyone with commit access has the necessary skills,
and access to tools, to do this. I just wish that we could put something
in a cvs checkin script to do this for us. For example, on my cvs
server, in $CSVROOT/commitinfo, I run a Perl syntax check on all .pm and
.pl files that get committed - basically a perl -cw - and reject commits
that don't pass. Using a similar mechanism, could we not run a XML->HTML
conversion on every commit of a xml file, and then guarantee that the
same tools are being used every time? Is there any reason *not* to do

Rich Bowen -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message