httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: xml build system
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 11:28:37 GMT
On Tue, 7 May 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Rich Bowen wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 May 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> >>1. We need a simple system so that people with no xslt knowledge can still
> >>write docs.
>
> > I am not clear why this is a problem. Mozilla understands the XML
> > without conversion. You can work on the XML, verify that it is is
> > correct, and commit it, all without generating HTML. I think that's a
> > better system for folks, like myself, that are either unable, or too
> > lazy, to do the conversion. Just get the latest Mozilla, and use that as
> > your converter.
>
> I agree, in general, that you don't need much XML knowledge to do the
> authoring, and that is great.  (Although Mozilla is giving me fits,
> personally.  I can't get it to do anything other than crash hard or
> render the xml as plain text since we added the multi-lingual stuff to
> manual.xsl.  What version are you using?  Do you have any special
> tricks? MSIE 6.0, on the other hand, seems to work like a charm.)

At the moment, I'm using 0.9.9, and not doing anything special at all. I
have not upgraded to the latest stuff, which is supposed to be release
candidate.

> But the transformations do eventually (sooner rather than later) need to
> get committed to the docs as html.  And it is just way to complicated to
> make that happen at the moment.

Agreed, but if most of the developers were to use an XML browser, the
conversion could be done, say, once a week, by someone with the
know-how, rather than having to have all of the individuals involved
know how to do it.

> Perhaps I overstated the severity of the situation in a fit of
> frustration.  But I still think we need to standardize and get a good
> set of instructions.

Definately agreed. Personally, I have no clue how to do the conversion,
and have none of the necessary tools installed. I'd like to know what
the easy approved way is, and when instructions were posted earlier, I
managed to miss or ignore them.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
Author - Apache Administrator's Guide