httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Changes required to support Japanese module docs
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 14:34:33 GMT
On 15 May 2002, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:

> First, we need some way to change encoding attribute of
> <xsl:output> to support Japanese or any other translation
> that can't be encoded in iso-8859-1.
>
> Unfortunately, <xsl:output> is only allowed as a top level
> element so we cannot use conditionals to change encoding.
> The only way is to have stylesheet for each language,
> e.g. manual.en.xsl for English, manual.ja.xsl for Japanese.
> But fortunately, XSLT allows inclusion of other stylesheet.
> So I'd like to move all contents except <xsl:output> from
> manual.xsl and move to another file, say base.xsl.  Then the
> contents of manual.xx.xsl will be only <xsl:output> and
> <xsl:include>.
>
> When the above change are made, build.xml should be changed
> to use manual.ja.xsl for *.ja.xml.

+1

This is exactly the conclusion that I came to when I looked at this stuff
last week.  (Before I gave up again.)  We should also be able to use this
to avoid the other language conditionals in the xsl files, thereby
hopefully removing the complications that are crashing some transformers.
(ie. it should no longer be necessary to have a "language" tag in the xml
file at all.)

> Second, we need to rename transformed English docs to
> something.en.html so that Japanese ones can be
> content-negotiated.  Probably this should be done after we
> decide the standard XSLT tool.

+1 on this too.

Joshua.