httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject xml build system
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 21:18:19 GMT
OK.  It's time to get this problem solved.

At the moment, the new xml system is an obstacle to proper doc maintenance
rather than an aid.  This needs to be fixed pronto.  I had hoped to remain
XSLT-software agnostic and just let people use what they like, but this is
not working for two reasons:

1. We need a simple system so that people with no xslt knowledge can still
write docs.

2. We need a system that doesn't do stupid things like reorder the
attributes every time we update.

For these reasons, I think we need to settle now on a "recommended" build
system including xslt software.  Then we need to get that system installed
on cvs.apache.org so that people who don't want to configure it for
themselves can use that system.  We should still try to make our
stylesheets work in a variety of different parsers if we can, but once we
get a "default" system setup, we will veto any changes that break it. (In
retrospect, I probably should have vetoed Patrik's stylesheet changes that
broke the original build.sh/Ant/Xalan-J system, but I think it is too late
now.)

So, what should the recommended software be?  I am fine with Xalan-C++, as
long as we can get it setup on cvs.apache.org (Freebsd).  Patrik, would
you mind looking into getting Xalan-C++ compiled on cvs.apache.org and
writing up a simple set of instructions for people who need to build the
docs on that machine (along the lines of "cvs co httpd-2.0/docs/manual; cd
httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style; make; cd ../mod; cvs commit") along with a
similar set for people who want to build on their local machines.  You can
mail root@apache.org for things that need root permissions, but try not to
bug them until you have something that you know will work.

Joshua