httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.com
Subject Antwort: Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style build.xml
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 18:43:05 GMT

Hi Joshua,

>> We are going to need to use the file.xml.ja order, because
>> multiviews will not work the other way.
> Awww, shoot!  This doesn't work either.  Now ant transforms
> mod_suexec.xml.ja into mod_suexec.xml.html.
> Any suggestions?  I'm really getting frustrated with this.

I somehow lost the exact problem specification.
So I have to play some guessing game:

a) The XML files need distinct file names for language
   variants - but are _they_ language negotiated by
   anyone? Will they be shipped with Apache as well, or
   are they just the "holy internal representation"?

b) "ant" is intended to be used for transforming XML to
   HTML, and the language extension must not get lost
   during this process. But has the result to already
   be negotiable without any further transformation?

c) Which process is invoking the XML -> HTML transforma-
   tion? Will this be done manually, or would there be
   some Makefile to transform all the XMLs to HTMLs?

If the thing will be done via a (generated?) Makefile,
then there might well be an intermediate step between
both ends of the process chain.
This might be as simple as a "copy" command, and it
might be triggered by just one more Makefile rule.

And even if the transformation would be made manually,
one could write a shell/Perl script doing the "ant"
call and then do the "copy" as a success event.

This might not be an elegant solution, but it should
provide a usable processing method.
You may consider the "*.ja.html" files being the "object
code" and the ".html.ja" files the "linked binary", if
you compare the two-step transformation process to a
C source code compilation.

Michael