httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Yoshiki Hayashi <yosh...@xemacs.org>
Subject Re: modification request - xml files
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 10:46:40 GMT
Hiroaki KAWAI <hawk@bcl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:

> Yoshiki Hayashi <yoshiki@xemacs.org> wrote:
> > > 2)
> > > in 2.0/manual/style/common.xsl :
> > > At line 279, 283, 288, 293, 298, 303, 307 and 317,
> > > change <td> to <td nowrap="nowrap">.
> > > Especially in Japanese, the simple <td> tag generates horrible
> > > outlook. It would harm nothing in other Languages, I'm happy
> > > if the modifications are applied.
> >
> > Could you tell me what browser and which file you used?  I'm
> > using Galeon 1.2.1 and mod_suexec.ja.html looks fine to me.
> > I'm reluctant to commit the change not knowing the exat
> > problem.
>
> I use Microsoft IE 6.0 on Windows2000 Professional.
> What I'm talking about is oriented from the property of
> Japanese language itself. I think whatever browser we
> use, This problem would occur in Japanese.
>
> The index of the description of Apache modules are
> HTML tables currently. At the left, "description" or
> "status" and so on, are the elements of the table.
> In Japanese, 'word' is not separeted with white
> spaces. If the description was long and word-wrapping
> occered, the index word of "description" or something
> at the left column itself would also be word-wrapped even
> if they are single words.

I guessed as much about the problem is word-wrapping.  It is
nearly obvious from the word nowrap, isn't it? :-)

But thanks anyway for the explanation.  It would help non
Japanese speaking people to understand the problem.

However, you didn't answer half of my question, "which
file".  I also guessed it was probably one of the Japanese
translation you submitted to Japanese mailing list.  Since
your first message lacked exact details, it is more natural
for me to ask you to give us more information than spending
time doing guess work.

It would be much easier for me to make the change if you
followed the following course:

  1. Post a patch for the above change
  2. State where exactly the problem occurs
  3. (Optional) Send URL of HTML files before and after your
     patch

This would allow me to directly see the difference easily.
You know, we have something like "Seeing is worth more than
100 explanations" in Japanese proverb. ;-)

Now I understand the problem so you don't have to do 2 and 3
anymore.  Could you provide a patch for the above change?
(I assume you have patched file on your disk.  If not, just
say so and I'll make the change manually).

--
Yoshiki Hayashi