httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: xml build system
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 03:22:56 GMT
Rich Bowen wrote:
> On Tue, 7 May 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

>>1. We need a simple system so that people with no xslt knowledge can still
>>write docs.

> I am not clear why this is a problem. Mozilla understands the XML
> without conversion. You can work on the XML, verify that it is is
> correct, and commit it, all without generating HTML. I think that's a
> better system for folks, like myself, that are either unable, or too
> lazy, to do the conversion. Just get the latest Mozilla, and use that as
> your converter.

I agree, in general, that you don't need much XML knowledge to do the
authoring, and that is great.  (Although Mozilla is giving me fits,
personally.  I can't get it to do anything other than crash hard or
render the xml as plain text since we added the multi-lingual stuff to
manual.xsl.  What version are you using?  Do you have any special
tricks? MSIE 6.0, on the other hand, seems to work like a charm.)

But the transformations do eventually (sooner rather than later) need to
get committed to the docs as html.  And it is just way to complicated to
make that happen at the moment.

Perhaps I overstated the severity of the situation in a fit of
frustration.  But I still think we need to standardize and get a good
set of instructions.

Joshua.