httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: /docs vs /docs-2.0
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 01:28:30 GMT
On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Chris Pepper wrote:

> At 6:01 PM -0800 2002/04/06, Daniel Lopez wrote:
> >That may break existing links out there to 1.3 specific documentation.
> >You will have the same problem when 2.1 is released.
> >Even if you make the alias to docs I would encourage that all
> >"official" links are
> >fully qualified with the version number, so the links do not break when a
> >new release happens. It can be docs-2.0, docs-2.1 or /2.0/docs, /2.1/docs
> >

> >I suggest keeping docs/ to the 1.3 version and from now on
>
> 	Perhaps /docs should be a link page to various version-specific docs?

Well, I think Daniel's point is that pages (outside of the Apache site)
have links to specific docs within the /docs tree, which may or may not
exist in the 2.0 (or 2.1) docs later on.

It seems to me that /docs should be a link to the *current*
documentation, but I certainly see Daniel's point also.

Perhaps a 404 page that says something like "you have followed a link to
a page that is not here. Perhaps you were looking for something in the
1.3 docs." Dunno. That could indeed break a lot of links from old
articles, old email archives, etc, etc.

> 						Chris Pepper
>
> >  > Now that 2.0 is the preferred version, it seems that /docs should now go
> >>  to the 2.0 docs, while the 1.3 docs should be demoted to a less
> >>  convenient URL like /docs-1.3, with the /docs-2.0 URL still working,
> >>  going to the expected place. Anyone else think that's a good idea?
> >>
> >>  --
> >>  Rich Bowen
> >>  Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI
> >>  http://www.ApacheAdmin.com/

Nothing is perfekt. Certainly not me.
Success to failure. Just a matter of degrees.