httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 1.3 Windows and *Servers/MaxClients/ThreadsPerChild directives
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:24:04 GMT
At 08:42 AM 4/16/2002, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>In looking at the 1.3 core.html documentation, I think I've found an
>error -- or at least a confusion.
>
>The documentation currently implies that ThreadsPerChild on Windows
>is equivalent to StartServers on other platforms.  It makes no
>reference to MaxClients.  I *think* the situation is rather that,
>on Windows,
>
>1. StartServers, MinSpareServers, and MaxSpareServers are meaningless;
>2. ThreadsPerChild is the equivalent of both StartServers and MaxClients
>    (i.e., that many threads will be started, and never more nor less
>    will be allowed to run).

I tend to agree, that's the behavior I observe.  I'd like FirstBill's reaction
as well.

>Obviously this doesn't apply to 2.0, but I'd like to get it clarified for
>the 1.3 docco, since 1.3 is going to be with us for a loooong time
>yet.

Apache 2.0 is approximately one order of magnitude faster than 1.3 was
on Windows.  I highly doubt folks will be configuring new 1.3 machines
after 2.0 is generally accepted over this next few months and revisions
[and the obvious kinks are worked out.]  I tend to agree with you that
on Unix, there will be stable production servers that just keep running
on 1.3 for the next several years :-)

Bill