httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.com
Subject Antwort: Re: Antwort: RE: Swedish xml translation
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:17:49 GMT

Hi Joshua,

>> On the other hand, the whole task 'smells' like using Makefiles would be
>> the thing to do ... in which case then again the order of filename
extensions
>> would matter.
> And I don't particularly want to have to enumerate every file in the tree
in
> the Makefile.

of course I wouldn't suggest doing that. ;-)

You might rather do one of the following things:
a) write more generic Makefiles, using the much more powerful GNUmake;
b) have some tiny Apaci-like tool to generate a Makefile for each docs
   directory. (Don't be afraid, this would really be a tool as simple
   as the structure of the rules to be generated; you probably have some
   "cvs add" information to be fed into such a tool, or one might just
   parse the tree for a list of defined filename extension patterns.)
c) use the concept of your original shell script loop, just enhance it
   a bit for handling relative URLs. (For which I would then prefer
   Perl to shell as it provides better substring handling and the like,
   and is more platform independent as well.)

Regards, Michael