httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: dtd for httpd-docs
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:16:05 GMT

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Brad Miller wrote:

> Here is the low down on the DTD.

Looks like a great start.

> I was able to add most of the XHTML tags that were listed on the
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html page.
> There were a few I left out because I didn't see them being used. If we need
> to add them later I can do that.
> Also the one tag that I left out of the XML tag list was the "section" tag.
> I did not see that being used anywhere either. Point me to an example if it
> is being used and I will get that fixed.

> There are only 2 tags that allow you to add anything. The first is <p> we
> can refine it if needed but it looked like just about anything can be placed
> inside it. The other is <td>. Although I did not see tables being used in
> any of the files I used for samples I am sure this will need to be pretty
> open.
>
> I added 3 attributes to <td> "rowspan", "colspan", and "class". I wasn't
> sure about the class attribute and we can remove it or add it to other tags
> if needed.
> <a> has the attribute "href".
> <directive> has the attribute "module".
> Am I missing anything here?

Sure, there are things missing (including some I added just recently), but
we should be able to clean that up pretty easily.  For example, the
<directive> and <directivesynopsis> tags take the attribute "type".  See
core.xml for an example.

A couple basic questions to consider:

1. How strict do we want to be?  For example, in your dtd, we do not allow
note</p></note>.  The former is probably "more correct", but do we want to
enforce it?  I'm not really sure about the answer to this.

2. I think we need to have some concept of block vs inline element.
Certain tags (for example, <description>, <compatibility>) could probably
Other
sets of elements like this in a DTD, and this would make the DTD both
cleaner and more flexible.

3. We'll need to provide some instructions on how to use this.  In
general, I think the majority of people here are using emacs, so
instructions for that platform would be good.  If nobody else can figure
it out, I will spend some time on it.  We will also need to reference the
DTD in the xml files, I guess.

Joshua.