httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: New to the list and ready to help out.
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:02:28 GMT
On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Brad Miller wrote:
>
> > I would like to help out with some of the documentation.
> > I heard you were trying to work on converting stuff over to XML.
> >
> > I am not sure what I can do to help so I will list my skills and maybe
> > someone can point me in the right direction.
> >
> > HTML
> > XML
> > DTD's
> > CSS
> > Graphics
> > I am just learning a little bit about XSL now so I don't know if I can help
> > all that much in that area.
> >
> > I am currently a technical writer for a software development company.
> > Hope I can help.
>
> We can certainly always use more help. There is a STATUS file in the
> documentation directory that lists all of the things that we are
> currently working on - there is one of these for 1.3, and a different
> one for 2.0. I guess the first step would be to get a cvs checkout and
> have a look through those.
>
> We're making good progress on the XML conversion, but there's still some
> to do.

Yep.  The first thing to do is to learn how to use CVS.  A good set of
instructions is at
http://apache-server.com/tutorials/ATdocs-project.html
If you have problems with that, there are other tutorials we can point you
to.

Assuming you are cvs-profficient, then take a look in
cvs.apache.org:httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style/ and httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod/
We are converting from an old html format to a new xml format.  Some
limited documentation on the new format is at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html
but the best way to learn is by looking at some of the already-converted
docs.  We could certainly use help continuing with that conversion
process.  This is relatively boring work, but certainly important.

Other things that you could consider doing:
- Looking at httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style/manual.xsl and manual.css and
improving them to make something cleaner and better looking.
- Creating a DTD to match the format we are using.  I'm a little skeptical
about this, since we would need to include a big chunk of xhtml, and
I'm not sure how much value it would have in the end anyway.
- Everything in the STATUS files, although they may not be perfectly
up-to-date.

Feel free to ask any questions or make any suggestions.

Joshua.