httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: <directory> tag not doing The Right Thing
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 04:01:09 GMT

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> For example:
>
> <directive module="core">Directory</directive>
>
> is producing a link to core.html#Directory which is not a valid anchor.

I assume you mean because the true anchor is "directory" in all lower
case.

Well, this is a little kettle of fish.  As far as I can tell, "fragments"
(or anchors, or whatever) are supposed to be case sensitive, although I
can't find it explicitly mentioned in a spec.  MSIE treats them
as case-insensitive, but Mozilla treats them as case-sensitive.  I tend
to trust Mozilla in this case.

This creates a little problem.  Case of anchors is handled very
inconsistently in the docs at the moment.  The majority are probably lower
case, but there are a large number of mixed case.  There is no way to
match that and do automatic linking.

1. Use the same case as the <name> (ie, mixed case).  This will mean that
many links in the docs will be broken until everything is converted to
xml, but they will still get you to an index that points to the right
place.

2. Use all lower case.  Fewer links will be broken, but I would need to
scatter translate(.,$uppercase,$lowercase) all over the xsl file.

3. Use mixed-case as the canonical form, but also include an all-lowercase
anchor to support unconverted docs.  This means that a few inter-module
links would be broken, but only until we finished converting the module
docs.  And as soon as I get core done, that will cover the most important
stuff.

I favor number 3, but I'm open to anything else.

Joshua.