httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: xml module docs (it happened)
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2002 04:21:57 GMT

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> The only think that I have run into so far is <pre>, which was not
> listed in your list of xhtml tags I can use, but is used in a lot of
> examples for formatting. Is <example> automatically a preformatted
> environment?

I was being a little evasive on that one.  <example> is deliberately NOT
preformatted.  In general, rendering seems to work much better when we
avoid using <pre> sections.  It prevents lots of problems with page-flow,
and makes stylesheets easier.  However, <pre> is used extensively in the
docs, and can save a bunch of time.  So, feel free to use <example><pre>
... </pre></example> if you need to.

Perhaps I should add a list of "discouraged but allowed" tags.  The main
goal here is not to make things too difficult.

Joshua.