httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <>
Subject Re: Documentation todo list
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2002 04:17:10 GMT

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> * Directive examples. This is the one that I have accomplished the most
> on. The goal here is to have an example for every directive in the
> documentation, except those where the SYNTAX section lists all possible
> examples.

> * .htaccess docs. I'm not even completely sure what this means, but
> there seems to be a desire for a document that states what you can do
> with .htaccess files. Might include a listing of what directives you can
> put in a .htaccess file, although I'm not sure that's a good idea - one
> more place to maintain such a list.

The index of everything that can go in .htaccess files should be possible
(in 2.0) once we have them xml-ized.  We can even sort it and say "These
directives are available with AllowOverride Fileinfo", etc.

As far as additional documentation, we can either choose to expand on
or add a separate doc.  Last time this was brought up, Ken objected to
including everything in the docs if there are good external documentation
sources, but I think that at least a little more docs on .htaccess would
be good.

> * public_html docs. Again, it is not clear that this warrants a separate
> document, but I've received more than one request for a doc that talks
> about what is necessary to have users run content out their home dir,
> including stuff like cgi execution, .htaccess stuff, and perhaps suexec.
> This, as well as the .htaccess doc, is mostly a tutorial-style thing,
> with a lot of links to existing docs.

Again, this could possibly be an expansion of
but it sounds like you are talking about more of a tutorial.

Go ahead and add this stuff to the STATUS file(s) when you get a chance.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message