httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject RE: New to the list and ready to help out.
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 02:35:47 GMT
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> >
> > > wincvs.com
> >
> > It's wincvs.org.
> >
> > > Wincvs is a pain to get set up, and the menus are moderately
> > > unintuitive, but once you have it set up, it is not hard to use.
> >
> > FWIW, I've had no end of trouble with Wincvs.  Too many bugs.
> >
> > > Or, if you want more of the Unix feel, try cygwin.
> >
> > Or you can use the win32 native port of command-line CVS, which is
> quite
> > similar to the Unix version, except it handles things like
> > case-sensitivity and line endings more smartly than the cygwin version
> > last I checked.
> >
> > http://www.cvshome.org/dev/codewindow.html
>
> I whole-heartedly agree with Cliff.  I have recently moved to Windows
> being my main machine, with VMware for development, and CVS on Windows
> was a PITA until I got the native CVS.  The problem with cygwin is that
> it reports that it is Unix to the CVS server, so CVS send Unix line
> ends.  Then, if you edit the file with a native editor, you save it with
> Windows line ends.  When you commit the file back, the version in CVS
> will have Windows line ends, which causes no end of grief.
>
> Cygwin needs to learn that if they are running on a Windows machine,
> they need to look like Windows, otherwise they are hurting people who
> use their tools.

Cool. This is good to know. Having been completely Microsoft Free for 2
years now, I'm largely unaware of things like this. I've passed this on
to a few of my Microsoft-encumbered friends who have been struggling
with WinCVS for some time now. Thanks.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
Author - Apache Administrator's Guide