httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <>
Subject Re: xml docs: <directory>, etc.
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:45:29 GMT
On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> A little query for anyone paying attention to this issue (which appears to
> be just Rich and me, but you never know):
> At the moment, my stylesheet has a problem because I use the directive's
> <name> to generate link targets.  This works great, except for the case of
> section directives like <directory>, <location>, etc.  For these, we
> generally want to display them with the <>, but when we sort, link, or
> whatever, we want to ignore the <>.  There are lots of ways to address
> this problem, some of which involve very complicated transformation crap.
> Here is what I think of as a simple and clean suggestion:
> Introduce the attribute "type" for <directivesynopsis> and <directive>.
> For now, the only valid value for "type" will be "section".  It would be
> used as follows:
> <directivesynopsis type="section">
> <name>Directory</name>
> </directivesynopsis>
> <directive type="section" module="core">Directory</directive>
> Then when displaying these things, the transformation would add in the <>,
> but in other uses (linking, sorting, etc) we would omit the <>.
> Does this make sense?

Yes, it does. I had in fact wondered that very thing, so this is
helpful. I expect I will have more questions as I go along, but it looks
like you have thought of a lot of things already.

Rich Bowen -
As we trace our own few circles around the sun
We get it backwards and our seven years go by like one
	Dog Years (Rush - Test for Echo - 1999)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message