httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject xml docs: It's gonna happen (perhaps)
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:52:43 GMT
I started this several months ago, and then abandoned it in a fit of
frustration.

I'm back.

This is very similar to what I posted in December, with the exception that
the transformation system is now xslt (Xerces+Xalan) rather than
Velocity+Anakia.

The most important attached doc is mod_setenvif.xml, which is an example of
how the xml source files will look.  Please review this to see if you agree
with what I have done.  Are there tags missing that we should be using?  Are
the tags named correctly?  Is the nesting correct?

The other attached files are the site.xsl file, which drives the
transformation, and mod_setenvif.html, which is the result.  These are
rather arbitrary; other transformation engines could be used, and someone
should surely spend some time changing them to use CSS.

As far as the mechanics go, the site.xsl would be committed somewhere under
httpd-2.0/docs/manual/.  Transformations would happen "in place", in the
sense that the target .html file would be written in the same directory as
the source .xml file.  To make the release manager's job easier, the .html
files would be committed to cvs (even though they are generated from the
xml).  The actual engine to do the transform (jar files, build.xml, etc)
would probably not be committed.  We could either make it available on the
website, or in a separate cvs repository.

Some unresolved issues:

- This is only for the module docs at the moment.  Others will require some
more work.

- This will completely kill the parallel between 1.3 and 2.0.  Future 1.3
changes will need to be hand-ported to the 2.0 docs (unless somebody feels
very strongly that the .xml system should be used in 1.3 as well).

- Translations?  I'm sure they could be worked in somehow.

I plan to proceed with this quite soon, before I lose my momentum.  So
please speak now or forever hold your peace.

Joshua.