httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Michael.Schro...@telekurs.com
Subject Antwort: [STATUS] (httpd-docs-1.3) Wed Feb 27 23:45:21 EST 2002
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:12:09 GMT

Hi Ken,

> * We appear to have people working on translation into the following
languages.
> [Should we attempt to get a known-current authorlist together? --jsl]
> - Catalan (.ca)
> - Czech Republic (.cz)
> - German (.de)

I think it could be a good idea to enhance the language list above by at
least adding _one_ person (i. e. mail address) as the "coordinator" of
translations into this language, who should then commit himself to being
available for at least some time for such a job.
Thus anyone could see at once whether something is really going on about
translating into this language and whom to ask which kind of tasks would
be needed for this translation.
There might surely not be a coordinator for each language yet - but even
to know about having one or not might help.
(I just refer to Astrid Kesslers recent mail about her German translation
activities - should I now refer to her as being the German translation
coordinator, or still contact you in case of any translation efforts?)

Another information I would like to see inside this list would then be the
number of documents already available in translated form.
This need not be an accurate number, and you won't need to have to recal-
culate it exactly for each version of this mail (but this might even be
done easily by some script traversing through the "docs" tree); if you had
some "translation coordinator" for some language he/she might be the one
to do this task for you now and then and inform you to update the list
whenever anything significant has happened.
This would at least show whether it is really just the "Hello" page or
whether there is a large number of pages available in translated form.

One more informations that could possibly be of value inside such a list
(which might then rather become a table than a list ...) would be the date
of the last update of each language line (i. e. the date your "translation
coordinator" or yourself updated the content of this line for the last
time) - this might help identifying languages where nothing has happened
for a long time.

And then about the format: Are translations still of value if they arrive
in HTML form, or must/should they already be in XML form?
And is this information unique for each language, or could there be diffe-
rent stages of migration (that could be worth mentioning in another column
of the table)?

By the way, the more columns the above "table" would get, the more likely
it might be a reasonable way to keep it in HTML somewhere on the server
and only mail its URL, instead of pasting the formatted content into the
mailing list.

> * Making site-specific enhancements easier, including a documented and
> robust way for 3P module docco to be added -- and have it survive a
server
> docco upgrade
> - This could be something a simple and hackish as a manual/extra/
directory
> (a la the 1.3 src/modules/extra/ directory) and a script in the support
> directory that scans the files there and updates the manual indices.

I would be interested in learning about how to "feed" such an "interface".
(i. e. about naming conventions, format requirements - need 3rd party docs
be in Apache-XML-DTD or are HTML versions accepted too? Which HTML versions
would be acceptable - I would prefer using something like XHTML 1.0 Strict.
Are there - or will there be - any global Apache CSS include files that
might - and even should - be referenced to, as to make the whole documenta-
tion look unique?)

Another aspect might be that 3rd party modules tend to have version numbers
of their own, which might be worth mentioning already in the texts of links
leading from the index page to those documents.
If so, then the script mentioned by you might want to rely upon some inter-
face where to find these informations. I would suggest using some
explicitly
specified <META> tags inside the docs which could easily be extracted by
the
script.

I am currently active in the mod_gzip mailing list, and am somehow grabbing
together bits and pieces of 'documentation', which is only scarcely
available
up to now. This is still far away from normal Apache documentation
standard,
but I hope to finally reach it one day in the future.
And if Apache offers an official "plug-in" interface for "extra" modules
documentation then I would of course prefer supporting this one for
mod_gzip
to inventing anything myself.
Regards, Michael