httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Daniel Lopez <dan...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: XML docs and Comanche (fwd)
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:29:23 GMT

> > b) About what Rich is mentioning, what I was thinking is making the directive
> > definition structured, so it can be parsed programmatically. I have in
> > Comanche something along the lines of:
> >
> > <directive type="number">
> >  <name>Port</name>
> >  <default>80</name>
> > </directive>
> >

> I hadn't really considered this second part.  It goes somewhat beyond the
> question of documentation as such, and could be quite complicated to
> implement.  I notice you chose a simple example ;-) Could you show what
> you do for some of the more complex directives? (variable number of
> arguments, etc)

With a simple subset you can cover all apache directives. You can see
examples, downloading comanche, in the directory
plugins/apache/modules/*/directives.xml

For example the require directive can be a either valid-user or a list of
users or a list of groups:

<structure label="apache1.3_coredirs_require" style="normal" name="require"
align="vertical">
<syntax>
   <boolean label="apache1.3_coredirs_validUser" name="validUser">
       <default>0</default>
   </boolean>
   <list label="apache1.3_coredirs_users" name="users">
       <syntax>
          <string label="apache1.3_coredirs_user" name="user"/>
       </syntax>
   </list>
   <list label="apache1.3_coredirs_groups" name="groups">
       <syntax>
           <string label="apache1.3_coredirs_group" name="group"/>
       </syntax>
   </list>
</syntax>
</structure>

> Basically, you are talking about a much more structured format for the
> <syntax> tag that we currently have.  This would certainly be useful under
> some circumstances.

Yes, converting the docs from html to xml is a big task. This should be
considered much later on. But it would open the door to many interesting
posibilities, sucha as an XML based configuration language for Apache.

Daniel