httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: New to the list and ready to help out.
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:56:38 GMT
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > wincvs.com
>
> It's wincvs.org.
>
> > Wincvs is a pain to get set up, and the menus are moderately
> > unintuitive, but once you have it set up, it is not hard to use.
>
> FWIW, I've had no end of trouble with Wincvs.  Too many bugs.
>
> > Or, if you want more of the Unix feel, try cygwin.
>
> Or you can use the win32 native port of command-line CVS, which is
quite
> similar to the Unix version, except it handles things like
> case-sensitivity and line endings more smartly than the cygwin version
> last I checked.
>
> http://www.cvshome.org/dev/codewindow.html

I whole-heartedly agree with Cliff.  I have recently moved to Windows
being my main machine, with VMware for development, and CVS on Windows
was a PITA until I got the native CVS.  The problem with cygwin is that
it reports that it is Unix to the CVS server, so CVS send Unix line
ends.  Then, if you edit the file with a native editor, you save it with
Windows line ends.  When you commit the file back, the version in CVS
will have Windows line ends, which causes no end of grief.

Cygwin needs to learn that if they are running on a Windows machine,
they need to look like Windows, otherwise they are hurting people who
use their tools.

Ryan